Max Braun, a mechanical engineer, established a small engineering shop in Frankfurt am Main in 1921. In 1923 he began producing components forradio sets. In 1928 the company had grown to such an extent, partly due to the use of certain plastic materials, that it moved to new premises onIdsteiner Strasse.
In 1935, the Braun brand was introduced, and the familiar logotype with the raised "A" took form. During World War II Braun was compelled to more or less abandon products for the civilian sector. At the 1937 World's Fair in Paris, Max Braun received the award For special achievements inphonography.